Friday, September 10, 2010

Creative Writing Question # 9

Imitation of "Girl"


Work

Make sure you scan everyone's insurance card and paperclip the copies to the chart; check the sign-in sheet constantly; don't let that call go to voicemail; file the doctor's mail and arrange it just so; when calling next week's patients, make sure they're on the correct schedule so we don't have anymore problems; initial and date everything you touch; do you realize how lucky you are to have this job? Always ask the nurse about fitting a patient in so the doctors don't get angry; on Fridays you can wear jeans, but they need to be nice; don't file that paper until you've stamped it; don't say that to a patient on the phone; but they were yelling at me about their prescription, and I'm not a nurse; this is how you make a new patient's chart; this is how you schedule the appointment; this is how you document a copay correctly so you're not fired; this is where you put the charge sheets so the insurance department isn't searching for them again; this is what you make a patient sign if they haven't paid us recently; this is what you charge a patient who doesn't show up so they don't do it again; this is who you talk to in order to request time off; you can't take that much time off, you know; you need to be here at 8:00 every morning; this is the drawer where you put patients with bad insurance; don't put anything there until you're sure; stop filing those papers, we do it all electronically now; you need to tell me who's calling if you want me to talk to them; but what if I need a day off, I haven't seen my family in months; make sure you're here at 8 am.

4 comments:

  1. Very cool and realistic, I can definitely imagine someone saying this in orientation when a person goes in for a job. I really liked the part about the employee being lucky enough to have the job; the comment about being fired; the section with the excuse about the yelling patient and the very end of the poem where the desire to have a day off is completely disregarded. That is so much to remember, I’d scream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of the first day of my first job. You captured it very well. My favorite part was the end when asking for a day off and not seeing your family in months. That held the most truth, for me anyways. Good Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really good. I like how you followed the scheme of Girl, and how the piece is only a few sentences long. Set up almost like a stream of consciousness. I also like how you put in your thoughts in italics, I think you should include more of those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first I thought the work ran the risk of being way too choppy, but I must agree with Peter that is like a stream of consciousness. To be honest I had to go back and reread "Girl," but I will admit you did stick to the style well.

    ReplyDelete